Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blog layout : my compulsive obsessiveness

If ya didn't know, I have an associate degree in commercial art from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and spent 25 years in print media (ad agency, newspapers, book publishing, commercial printing).

Soy ink runs thick through my veins. I used to sweat it out of my pores back in the day. I even spent nearly a year in quality control at a commercial printing company in Medina, Ohio. Despite that, I still was responsible for the accuracy; quality of my work.

This was before electronic pre-press; before images were lasered onto printing plates. I was a conventional four-color stripper and plate maker. All done by hand using negatives. I had to cut film; trapping the conventional way-by hand. My hand-eye coordination was superb.

I was doing journeyman quality work within the first year of being in pre-press but had to be in the industry for 5 years to receive my journeyman card. I got that in 1990 from another company in Michigan.

I was good back in the day. DAMN GOOD!

I think you have to have a AAA type personality to succeed at any trade; if you have any self-sense of pride; if you want to produce a product that you would feel confident enough to sign your name to if you could.

Well, the appearance of my blog is important to me - composition and layout wise.

If, after many hours of posting pics and making sure the cutline is positioned to the appropriate pic, if digs at a raw nerve to find everything moved whenever I log on to this blog. I can't lock my layout like I would be able to if I were using In Design or Quark Xpress.

I swear there is a Microsoft conspiracy here!

So, if you should at any time be checking out my blog and see everything discombobulated, just close out of Internet Explorer and switch over to Firefox.

I thank you, in advance, for your help in preventing me from having my own personal meltdown.

2 comments:

  1. Did you run an AB Dick press? I hated that thing! I took Graphic Arts in my vocational school and we had to use that press. I always tried to get the teacher to do it for me.

    And I think your blog looks lovely! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment!

    No, I did not run an AB Dick. I was in pre-press for 20 years - 18 years with web-offset and 2 years sheet-fed stripping.

    I took a night class years ago and it involved running an AB Dick. I hated it too!

    ReplyDelete