Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Homelessness: Clip from Obama news conference

Glad it was brought up...

I was listening from another room when I heard a reporter ask President Obama about addressing homelessness. I grabbed my camera, focused it on the TV screen and this is what I got on video.

The president talked about programs for the unemployed; to get people back to work. He mentions the homeless veterans too.

From my own personal experience, I met more disabled homeless than unemployed homeless people in Cleveland and until the Social Security Administration starts paying attention, carefully reading the medical files of those who apply, there will still be people losing their homes waiting for 2 years before an administrative law judge hears their cases.

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless offers a take on distribution of funding for the homeless.

President Obama is taking a stand; we must too by writing letters to our representatives and pressing them on the issues of Social Security denials for disability.

2 comments:

  1. I caught the conference too, and my ears perked when I heard 'homeless' mentioned. In all honesty, his approach of jobs for everyone really blanket covers this subject when it came up.

    After four years advocating myself, I'm starting to believe that the money spent on some local systems would be better used if we went towards establishing feasible tent city areas. There is so much a higher number of families homeless locally compared to when my own family was homeless...it's staggering, and they're more at risk than ever.

    Even HUD's definition of homeless compared against the McKenny-Vento act shows the Fed Govt doesn't know what each of it's hands are doing. HUD says doubling up, couch surfing, and other setups ISN'T homelessness, while the McK-V act clearly says it is.

    Maybe it's one of his pork plans, lol.

    Very good article though, Cyn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment and your post.
    Regarding the tent cities: When Y2K was approaching I went to one of the (many) shows held at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds outside of Cleveland. I met a gentleman who lives with his wife in a tee-pee. He was promoting that lifestyle - the kids were grown so no need for the big house anymore; yard work, maintenance, property taxes - all things of the past now.

    Anyway, he was promoting the tee-pees and there was a show special - $3,000 per (reg. $6,000 per) and they are huge. His is at a state park not far from where I now live. When my truck is fixed, I plan to look him up and interview him. I have friends who work with him at the power plant. And yes, tee-pees can be secured!

    I could have done the couch surfing thing too but I was better off going to a shelter and remaining 'self-sufficient' and being close to services.

    I am very happy your family is safe in housing and together. I have a link to your Homeless Family blog from here.

    By the way..have you noticed no mention of homelessness was mentioned in any news media regarding Obama's news conference?

    PEACE MY FRIEND AND TO YOUR'S

    ReplyDelete