Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Is What's Needed A High Colonic?

In T-Town it's not just the hydrants that need flushed out!
After a thirty-year absence I purchased a house and moved back to my home town of Toronto, Ohio. Although basically I've moved back into the old neighborhood (my childhood home is exactly two blocks north on the same street), a lot remains the same and a lot has changed and some of that (possibly most) is not necessarily a good thing.

Examples of things I've noticed that remain the same:
  • People vote on name recognition or because "he" or "she" is so and so's son/daughter/grand whatever.
  • They come from a good family so they get my vote.
  • They have been in office for years so I guess they are okay.
  • Things are fine the way they are so we don't need change.
Yada, yada, yada!

While I was gone I lived in many small "progressive" towns that:
  • Had a city planning commission
  • Took advantage of state and federal grant money to revitalive their downtowns
  • Saw population double despite rough economic times by promoting tourism.
  • Built or converted existing structures into recreation centers (indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, racquet ball courts, etc).
  • And the list goes on...
Toronto needs revitalization to remain a city. The community is impoverished; 150 families are being served at the food bank and this town needs to capitalize on its greatest resource - the Ohio River.

Tuesday May 5th is election day- time to cast that ballot for Toronto's future and vote many out of office.

Meet my candidate!

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't live in Toronto, I have relatives and friends there. Your points about the people and how they typically vote are spot on.

    Your choice for a candidate is spot on as well. I hope he wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment L.C. but isn't this how people vote everywhere?

    I was a precinct judge in Cuyahoga County and two of us (one from each party) helped an elderly man use the touch screen - he timed out twice. We magnified the screen for him, put all his literature in order as it appeared on the screen and we told him the issues and candidates as they came up. He did not know the issues and he did not know the candidates by name just that he voted "no" on anything that would tax or be extended and straight ticket all the way.

    I suggest you read my post "On The Homefront" and watch the videos. It's scary how people think.

    ReplyDelete