Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Susan Boyle: The Packaging May Be Plain and Simple...

but, oh, what a beautiful gift inside!

I was thinking about how society perceives others by their station in life; career, education, personal appearance, wealth or lack of, and so on.

Just two examples of stereotypical images...

If a person is homeless they are perceived as lazy, drug addicted, worthless.

In one of his blog posts, Brian Davis wrote: “I have thought about how many talented people are wasting away in our shelters and drop in centers. How many great photographers, artists, community leaders, inventors and diplomats are sleeping in America’s shelters. With 1% of America becoming homeless every year, there have to be hundreds of potentially great Americans who will never get to show their true talent because they cannot find housing”.

If a person is not beautiful they must be stupid, uneducated or perhaps evil. Remember, Cinderella’s stepsisters were ugly as are witches that cook children in their boiling cauldrons.

Especially if they are female, anyone who is unattractive or physically unappealing often will not be placed in a job dealing directly with the public; possibly receiving lower wages.

Go ahead and feed into the stereotype of two groups of people who are unworthy of any great opportunity.

My friend Joe posted on Facebook a video clip from the popular British TV show “Britain’s Got Talent” that he found on YouTube. Naturally I had to watch it.

Contestant Susan Boyle of Scotland introduced herself to the three judges and, as she told her story, many of the audience rolled their eyes and jeered all due to her physical appearance.

I ask that you watch this clip of Susan’s performance and think back to your first impression of another human being based on their personal appearance; their station. And as you watch and listen to her sing “I Dreamed a Dream” from “Les Miserables” you might want to reflect on the lyrics and how they pertain to any person you may meet today.

They just deserve a chance.


I Dreamed a Dream Lyrics

I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.

Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used
And wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung
No wine untasted.

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
As they turn your dream to shame.

And still
I dream he'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms
We cannot weather...

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed
The dream I dreamed.



4 comments:

  1. It was awesome. What a voice, I would have to say the most soothing, and calming to my soul. I almost didn't believe it was real.
    This is a great post. You are right, there are authors, inventors, politicians, and great people in our shelters. If you think I am wrong, then think about this: there are child molestors, crooks, theives, rapists, and liars, in their own homes with great jobs. Don't underestimate a person because of their situation. They are just a miracle waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very good friend of mine posted the video on Facebook yesterday which made me aware of it's existence. Connie Schultz of the PD is a friend of his and she commented on his post. She has been writing about Susan Boyle on her blog and in today's PD column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.

    I was really amazed at the variety of people I met working with the Homeless Congress. Brian is right--a lot of talented people are wasting away. Do you remember the homeless man who frequented downtown who was a graduate of an Ivy League school?

    And yes, there are a lot of rich crooks and drug addicts who get away with their crimes. But, for some reason, people think you have to be messed up to be homeless. In reality, more people are closer to being without housing than many would think.

    And, I just read a small story in the PD today about a PR agent. She commented how all PR people are young, trendy, attractive women. Hmmm... Sounds like you're totally on key with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Sarah. I never met that man but there was a woman who came to the shelter who was absolutely brilliant and had gone to Case medical School. Something horrible happened to her (probably rape) because someone brushed up against her and she carried on something awful!

    I had wanted to write something like this piece for quite some time. Would have taken awhile. Have it started tho' but when Joe posted the video last night it struck a cord as did this verse.

    I had a dream my life would be
    So different from this hell I'm living
    So different now from what it seemed
    Now life has killed
    The dream I dreamed.

    Events in life can drastically change one's direction, unfortunately for the worst!

    ReplyDelete